This is the third part in an on-going series of blogs. To check out parts one and two, click through here:
30. Peter Schaefer
Stats: 315GP, 53G, 158GP
Height/Weight: 6foot0, 180lbs
Acquired: Trade with Vancouver Canucks (For Sami Salo)
I know Peter Schaefer is a little high on this list.. he didn’t have a wildly successful career outside of a few good seasons in Ottawa, and even then, he wasn’t more than a 4o-point winger.
That said, Schaefer was one of my favourites growing up and I like many Sens fans feel he was a big part in the teams depth when it came to the success the franchise saw around the mid-early 2000’s. Schaefer’s best season came the year before Ottawa’s cup run when he posted a 20 goal, 50 point season.
He certainly benefitted from playing on a rock-solid offensive team and by receiving powerplay minutes, but the fact remains that Schaefer was an important depth piece for the Senators. Not to mention, he scored one of the nicest goals in Senators history (seen above).
Schaefer was never a dynamic scorer, and neither were/are any of the players ranked behind him.
His speed was among the best on the team and although his scoring rate as a Senator was only 0.50ppg, I give Schaefer a high spot on my list due to his 300+ games in Ottawa and 150+ points. Now only if he had been a playoff performer.
More from SenShot
- Ottawa Senators Prospects: Jonny Tychonick Gets Fresh Start in Omaha
- Ottawa Senators Prospects: Jacob Bernard-Docker Flaunts Two-Way Ability
- Ottawa Senators Prospects: Shane Pinto Shines With North Dakota
- Ottawa Senators: One trade target from each non-playoff team
- Ottawa Senators Prospects: Angus Crookshank Stars for New Hampshire