The Sens are back!
For the first time in 12 days, the Ottawa Senators will take the ice for an NHL game when they take on the Calgary Flames who are looking to snap a 3-game skid.
The Senators are looking to avenge a 6-0 loss with a heavily depleted lineup on New Year’s day versus the Toronto Maple Leafs in their last game, with a stronger lineup.
News & Notes
- The Senators will be without Tim Stützle for tonight’s game after being placed in the Covid-19 protocol on January 11th.
- Senators lines from yesterday’s practice:
Wednesday practice lines from Calgary.
(Stützle + Gaudette not on the ice)
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Formenton Paul CBrown
Sanford Gambrell Watson
Ennis Tierney Sabourin
— TSN 1200 (@TSN1200) January 12, 2022
- Scott Sabourin enters the lineup for the 4th time this season, D.J. Smith on the decision to play Sabourin: “Calgary is a big, hard team and a physical game is kinda his thing”
- Josh Brown comes back into the lineup after suffering a broken thumb on November 22nd
- Nick Paul is promoted to second-line centre in the absence of Tim Stützle
Once again D.J. Smith is obviously going for grit and toughness, as he’s decided to dress Scott Sabourin has faced plenty of criticism so far, and it’s definitely warranted. After 12 days between games, icing both Scott Sabourin and Josh Brown for “toughness” while already having plenty of physical presence in both Austin Watson and Brady Tkachuk.
If the result isn’t flattering after tonight’s game, there will have to be some hard questions for Smith to ask, specifically in regards to lineup decisions.
Goals: OTT – Norris (14), CGY – Mangiapane (18)
Assists: OTT – Batherson (19), CGY – Gaudreau (23)
Points: OTT – Batherson (28), CGY – Gaudreau (38)
+/-: OTT – Tkachuk (+4), CGY – Lindholm (+24)
Shots: OTT – Tkachuk (82), CGY – Tkachuk (115)
Hits: OTT – Tkachuk (102), CGY – Lucic (89)
2021-22 Season Stats: 7 GP, 0-6-0, 0.883 SV%, 3.67 GAA
Murray makes his second consecutive start tonight, in his last start he was left out to dry, conceding 6 goals on 40 shots in a lopsided loss to the Maple Leafs. Murray hasn’t been at his best this season, his -5.74 GSAA (Goals Saved Above Average) ranks near the bottom of the league.
2021-22 Season Stats: 24 GP, 12-7-5, 0.926 SV%, 2.15 GAA, 5 SO
Markstrom has been one of the better goaltenders in the NHL this season, his 11.83 GSAA places him 7th in the league, his stellar play has been one of the main reasons for Calgary’s improvement.
All stats via Hockey Reference