The road weary Binghamton Senators salvaged their three in three game weekend scoring four times in the second and held on with a couple of empty netters for a 6-3 win over the Springfield Falcons. Buddy Robinson had a strong night scoring two goals as well as Shane Prince adding a pair as Peter Mannino made 34 saves for his first win in four tries as the Senators earned four out of six points on the weekend.
First period sees the two teams feeling each other out in a rather uneventful beginning. Both Anton Forsberg and Mannino made some clean saves as Senators look to have some early jump catching the Falcons sleeping with several odd man rushes.
More from Belleville Senators
- Ottawa Senators Prospects: Is Joey Daccord the Goalie of the Future?
- Ottawa Senators Prospects: Why Drake Batherson Has to Play in Ottawa
- Ottawa Senators: Most Likely Belleville Graduates of 2019/2020
- Ottawa Senators: Top 3 prospects to get excited for in 2021
- Belleville Senators keep rolling winning back to back
In the second at 8:40 Senators strike first as Robinson scores skating around the net snapping home past Forsberg in front for his fifth of the season. Then behind the net Garrett Thompson finds David Marshall and he makes it 2-0 with his hard snap shot short side beating Forsberg’s glove side. Robinson adds his second of the night shooting a hard wrist shot from the left circle and in far side. Goal is under a lengthy review but ref signals good goal.
Fluke goal follows as Frederic St. Denis is parked on the wall shoots towards the net and the puck goes in past Mannino off of Danny New’s stick in front killing any shutout chance for Peter. Mannino with a nice save on a speeding Dana Tyrell as he’s looked good tonight. Senators go on a five on three power play with back to back delay of game calls five seconds apart against Springfield, and strike with Prince picking up the loose puck in front and wrists it in past Forsberg for a 4-1 game.
In for relief for Springfield is back up Oscar Dansk for the third period. Lukas Sedlak in front as Senator turnover shooting high off the post by Mannino and in cutting the lead to two. With Ryan Dzingel being called for an unsportsmanlike penalty, Falcon’s Austin Madaisky connects top shelf through traffic from the point making it now a 4-3 contest. Dansk with a great glove save on Prince by his side robbing him of a sure thing as Prince skates away looking in disbelief.
Senators add a pair of empty netters with Dansk pulled near the end with Matt Puempel and Prince adding the insurance goals, as Binghamton wins 6-3. Shots ending up 37-28 Falcons.
NOTES & OBSERVATIONS
- Senators were ready despite the long bus ride and the early game time start, as it was the well rested Falcons that didn’t find their legs until the third period as they looked a little rusty in not having any game action since last Wednesday.
- Prince a pair of goals tonight along with a team high six shots as he would’ve finished with a hatty had it not be for Dansk’s glove in the third. He takes over the team lead with 14 goals.
- Binghamton short five regulars with four on injured list and one serving a suspension.
- Todd Bertuzzi was listed as a healthy scratch as he sat out in the third period in Saturday’s night’s loss in Allentown. Rumors floating he’s called it quits as his play was nothing spectacular in his short PTO service.
PLAYER SPOTLIGHT CARD
#10 BUDDY ROBINSONForward, Binghamton Senators
Forwards – Puempel-D Grant-Dziurzynski, Prince-Camper-Kramer, Guptill-Dzingel-Robinson, Thompson-Marshall-Szydlowski
Defense – Johnson-Mullen, Claesson-Lepine, New-Wideman
Binghamton is off until Friday’s home game against the St. John’s IceCaps.