The Pirates invade the Arena for the first and only meeting of the season as tonight’s snowy contest completes the home and home series that began in Lewiston, Maine on Saturday night when the B-Sens, representing the league’s number one offensive, exploded for seven goals. Perhaps some unsettled business might be addressed as for two teams that don’t often play each other they sure had some animosity towards one another as their last meeting featured six fights and a whopping 224 pims combined in the blow out win for the Sens. Nathan Lawson (15-6-0 2.72) will get the start and who knows for the Pirates as both their goalies have been sub-par lately. UPDATE: Andrew Hammond (13-8-3 3.07) gets the nod in net over Lawson.
(29-14-0-3) 61 pts
First in East Division
(16-19-2-7) 41 pts
Last in Atlantic Division
Hammond / Lawson
Injured Reserve: Forward Derek Grant, upper body.
Healthy: Forward Matt Puempel, Defenseman Ben Blood.
- On Monday Mike Hoffman was named AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Feb. 2, 2014. Hoffman totaled five goals and two assists for seven points in three games last week resulting in wins in Worcester and Portland while dropping one in Manchester. Hoffman has already set career highs in goals (23), assists (32) as well as points (55) in 44 games, and is second in the league’s overall scoring race behind Travis Morin of Texas.
- Portland and the Civic Center signed a new five-year lease Tuesday that will return the team to the renovated arena in downtown Portland next fall. They have been playing their ‘home’ games in Lewiston, Maine and even considered moving to Glens Falls, NY before signing the new agreement.
- Pirates have lost three straight and are 1-6-1-2 in their last ten while allowing 21 goals in those three losses. Senators will be aiming for their second in a row and are 6-4-0-0 while scoring 20 in their last four outings.
- The Dziurzynski brothers’ once again face each other as older brother Senator’s David had a goal in the win while Darian had three shots, -1 and 17 pim in the scrap with Corey Cowick.
- This will be Binghamton’s last game before heading up north along I-81 to the border en-route for Ottawa on Saturday’s game at Canadian Tire Centre serving as hosts against the Hamilton Bulldogs for a 7:00pm puck drop. Good exposure and experience for some of the boys if not all as they will be feeling the vibe playing in the parent club’s big house.
Players To Watch For
Portland: Forwards Andy Miele (19g 24a 42gms) and Lucas Lessio (14g 15a 37gms), Defenseman Daine Todd (2g 20a 37gms).
Binghamton: Forwards Jim O’Brien (9g 14a 37gms), Shane Prince (13g 16a 40gms) and Corey Cowick (9g 8a 43gms).
Senators made it look easy winning 7-1 this past Saturday night. Game two of the home and home series should be a dandy tonight at the Arena.
2013-’14 Playoff Picture (New feature I’m adding to keep track of the team’s playoff scenario’s with the aid of AHL Playoff Chances. )
- Current Percentage of Binghamton reaching the playoffs: 98.9%
- Overall position: 6th in the league (100% tops)
- Won or loss after last game +/-: +2 (W over Portland 7-1).
Sens Tweet of the Day
Who even wants to win a trophy you can’t drink out of?
— Darren Kramer (@DarrenKramer22) February 3, 2014
Cover photo courtesy of Jeff Ulmer.