There were 7 games on a busy Monday night after a light Sunday as the NHL enters its last week before the Olympic break. Here is the NHL Recap for Feb 3, 2014
- Erik Karlsson had the winner on his stick but a tremendous glove save by Marc-Andre Fleury preserved the tie and the Pittsburgh Penguins went on to the Overtime victory against the Ottawa Senators 2-1. For a complete recap of the game you can James Neal Scores Winner In OT Against Senators” href=”http://senshot.com/2014/02/04/james-neal-scores-winner-ot-senators/” target=”_blank”>CHECK HERE.
- Newly acquired Matt Hendricks‘ shorthanded goal in the first minute of the third period broke a 2-2 tie and the Edmonton Oilers hung on to win 3-2 over the Buffalo Sabres. Jeff Petry and Justin Schulz also scored for Edmonton, while Steve Ott on the power play and Drew Stafford shorthanded replied for the Sabres. Edmonton has won 4 of their last 5.
- Jimmy Howard (16 saves) and Jonas Gustavsson (8 saves) shared the shutout for the Detroit Red Wings to spoil the return behind the bench for John Tortorella as the Vancouver Canucks’ tailspin continues. Justin Abdelkader had both goals for the Wings in the 2-0 win. Gustavsson got the start but left the game after 20 minutes with dizziness, ceding the net to Howard. Vancouver has lost 4 in a row and 7 of their last 10 and are now clinging to the final playoff spot int the West.
- P.A. Parenteau tied the score with just over a minute left and Ryan O’Reilly notched the winner in overtime to allow the Colorado Avalanche to steal a 2-1 win from the New Jersey Devils. Ryan Carter‘s late first period goal looked like it was going to hold up until Parenteau finally solved Cory Schneider.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets won their third straight game, an impressive 4-2 win over the Anaheim Ducks. Nick Foligno had the winner and the insurance marker, while RJ Umburger and Ryan Johansen also chipped in for the Jackets. Mathieu Perreault and Ryan Getzlaf scored for the Ducks. Sergei Bobrovsky had 34 saves for his 20th win of the season.
- The Los Angeles Kings continue to fall along with the Canucks, dropping their 4th in a row, this time 5-3 to the Chicago Blackhawks. Patrick Kane scored twice, while Bryan Bickell, Nick Leddy and Marcus Kruger added singles. Anze Kopitar had a goal and two assists, with Tyler Toffoli adding a goal and an assist and Drew Doughty also scoring in the losing effort.
- The Philadelphia Flyers scored 4 times in the third period to erase a 2-1 San Jose Sharks lead and skate away with a 5-3 win. Matt Nieto scored twice to give the Sharks the lead in the first, but Matt Read, Michael Raffl, Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek rallied in the final frame, scoring 3 in the first 4 minutes to chase Antti Niemi from the Sharks net. Mark Streit had opened the scoring for Philly.
There are 9 more games on Tuesday night, including the Senators playing back to back games, this time heading to St. Louis to face the Blues. Check back tomorrow for a recap of the action.