Here is SenShot’s NHL recap, covering the 10 games from a busy Thursday night in the NHL:
- The Colorado Avalanche remained perfect on the young season, walking into Boston and shutting out the Bruins 2-0 on the strength of 39 saves from Jean-Sebastien Giguere. Ryan O’Reilly had the winner in the last minute of the first period, and that was all the scoring until Matt Duchene scored the empty netter in the last minute of the third for the insurance marker. The Avalanche under legendary goalie Patrick Roy have allowed just 3 goals in 4 games.
- The Battle of the Folignos went to older brother Nick as his Columbus Blue Jackets downed the Buffalo Sabres 4-1. Nick Foligno had a goal and a fight, while Marcus Foligno was held scoreless. Cam Atkinson, Brandon Dubinsky and Marian Gaborik also scored for the Blue Jackets, while only Thomas Vanek was able to beat Sergei Bobrovsky.
- Nathan Gerbe scored the winner 7 minutes into the third to break a 2-2 tie and help the Carolina Hurricanes down the Washington Capitals 3-2. Elias Lindholm scored his first NHL goal for the Canes, who also got a goal from Alexander Semin. Jason Chimera and Alex Ovechkin scored for Washington.
- Derek Morris, Mikkel Boedker and Antoine Vermette each had a goal and an assist in the Phoenix Coyotes 4-2 win over the Detroit Red Wings. Michael Stone had the other goal for the Coyotes, with Mike Smith making 28 saves for the win. Joakim Andersson and Jonathan Ericsson replied for Detroit.
- Steven Stamkos had a shorthanded, even strength and power play goals to complete the hat trick in the Tampa Bay Lightning‘s 7-2 drubbing of cross state rival Florida Panthers. Valtteri Filppula added a pair for the Bolts with Martin St. Louis and Ondrej Palat chipping in singles. Teddy Purcell had 3 helpers as the Tampa top line combined for 9 points. Brad Boyes and Jonathan Huberdeau scored for the Panthers.
- Jonathan Bernier made 36 saves for the shutout and took a stranglehold on the Toronto Maple Leafs #1 goaltending job with a 4-0 win over the Nashville Predators. Phil Kessel had a goal and 2 assists, while James van Riemsdyk added 1 and 1. Joffrey Lupul and Tyler Bozak scored on a late power play after Mike Fisher was given a major and a game misconduct for boarding against former Predator defenseman Cody Franson. Morgan Rielly scored his first NHL point on Bozak’s goal.
- Matt Cooke had the winner for the Minnesota Wild in their 2-1 win over the Winnipeg Jets. Jonas Brodin had the other goal for Minny, while Bryan Little replied for the Jets. Josh Harding got the win, facing just 15 shots while Ondrej Pavelec took the loss.
- Brendan Gallagher and Alex Galchenyuk each had a goal and an assist and P.K. Subban had three helpers to lead the Montreal Canadiens past the Edmonton Oilers 4-1. Brandon Prust and Max Pacioretty also scored for the Habs, with Peter Budaj making 27 saves for the win. Ryan Smyth had the lone Oilers goal.
- The San Jose Sharks continued their mastery of the Vancouver Canucks with their 2nd 4-1 win of the young season over their rivals. Brent Burns had a goal and an assist, with Joe Thornton and Logan Couture each netting two assists. Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Matt Pelech and Patrick Marleau also scored for the Sharks. Mike Santorelli scored his team leading 4th goal of the season in the losing effort for Vancouver, who have dropped 9 straight to San Jose including the playoff sweep last spring.
- For the second straight game, the New York Rangers got spanked, this time dropping a 6-0 decision to the Ducks a couple of days after the 9-2 drubbing at the hands of the Sharks. Jakob Silfverberg had a pair of goals for the Ducks, with Ryan Getzlaf, Daniel Winnik, Saku Koivu and Dustin Penner adding singles. Teemu Selanne and Mathieu Perreault each assisted on both Silfverberg goals, while Jonas Hiller got the 34 save shutout.
Check back tomorrow for a recap of the 6 game Friday night slate.