Crashing the Crease is SenShot’s daily look at NHL news and notes, mostly from off the ice.
- For hockey fans and players alike, today is like Christmas Eve, with tomorrow bringing real action that counts. However, it is also decision day when many players on the bubble will have their NHL dreams snuffed out, at least temoporarily, while others will realize it. It is akin to getting a lump of coal in your stocking vs. a nice shiny new bike.
- Perhaps the biggest surprise so far is that #3 overall pick Jonathan Drouin was returned to Halifax of the QMJHL yesterday. They simply weren’t going to be able to ensure he got top 6 ice time with quality players to allow him to properly develop. Good news for the Mooseheads, and also for Team Canada’s World Junior hopes. Now it is time to see if he can carry a team withouth former running mate Nathan MacKinnon.
- So what exactly will the well-dressed 2013 Stanley Cup Champ be wearing on his finger? Blackhawk Up shows the new Hawks’ bling.
- Andrew Ference, who grew up in the Edmonton area, will don the “C” for the Oilers, and it looks like Ryan Smyth will never get that honour.
- The final waiver wire before teams have to get down to 23 man rosters had few notable names, and nothing earth-shattering.