Crashing the Crease is SenShot’s daily look at some off-ice news and stories from around the NHL.
- With Tomas Vokoun out indefinitely with a blood clot, and Marc-Andre Fleury being, well, Marc-Andre Fleury, where do the Penguins go for goaltending help? Maybe its veteran Jose Theodore?
- Last season, the Oilers brought in Mike Brown to help Ben Eager provide a deterrent for opposing players picking on their young, smallish players. In the light of Sam Gagner‘s broken jaw at the hands of Zack Kassian and the Dale Weise headhunting of Taylor Hall, the Oilers claimed a nuclear deterrent in Steve MacIntyre off waivers.
- It wasn’t a good weekend for the NHL on the ice as the NHL department of Player Safety is getting a workout. Kassian and McIntyre were handed suspensions from Saturday night, as was David Clarkson for his role in Sunday’s brawl between the Leafs and Sabres. Phil Kessel will have a hearing Tuedsay to find his fate for going lumberjack on John Scott.
- Its not easy for an 18 year old to make the NHL, and the #3 overall pick is finding that out. Perhaps the Halifax Mooseheads might get an early Christmas present in the form of the return of Jonathan Drouin. The Lightning are not exactly starved for offense, so if Drouin isn’t a sure-fire top 6 forward, then it might be better for him to return to the Q and try to dominate without Nathan MacKinnon riding shotgun.
- Mason Raymond officially signs with the Maple Leafs for 1 year and a cool $1M. He has been one of the better (if not best) Maple Leafs in camp and his speed will be an asset as is his ability to play on any line, now that Clarkson is sitting in the corner for 10 games.
- After expecting him to sign in Carolina, Brenden Morrow took a turn and chose to go to St. Louis, where he re-unites with his former GM Doug Armstrong. One year, $1.5M is what the veteran commanded.
- Lost in the shuffle over suspensions in the Leafs-Sabres brawl, could the incident that kicked it all off cost the Sabres a contender for their top line?
Check back tomorrow for more news and notes from around the league.