Crashing the Crease is SenShot’s daily tour around the NHL, bringing you some interesting news and stories.
- Causeway Crowd agrees with my earlier take on the NHL’s new tuck rule. Nice to see some agreement from divisional rivals!
- Speaking of tuck, more than one player involved in last night’s Toronto-Buffalo shootout had their jersey tucked in while taking their shot. It is impossible to put them in the penalty box at that time, but if the rule is so important, then shouldn’t they make the shot invalid if they are tucked? Not that that would have mattered much in that game.
- Along those lines, I know it is only preseason, but could shooters at least look like they are trying to score in the bonus round. Thirty NHL shooters, and 29 missed in last night’s Sabres-Leafs game. I don’t care how good the goalies were, 1 for 30 on breakaways is beyond pathetic. It was comical, and not in a good way. It was embarrassing and gives those anti-shootout people ammunition for their argument that NHL games should not be decided in this manner.
- With Washington set to host the 2015 Winter Classic, Sabre Noise wonders how many outdoor games the league will stage in 2014-15? I wonder if the success of the multiple games this season will determine the final number.
- Brenden Morrow to the Canes – not done yet, but seems inevitable.
- Relax, Canucks fans, its only one preseason game. Back away from the ledge and put your torches and pitchforks away. Roberto Luongo will be fine.
- And to goaltending problems of another sort, Tomas Vokoun is battling not only for the starting job, but that struggle takes a back seat for a while as he deals with another blood clot. Our best wishes to Tomas for a full and speedy recovery.
Check back tomorrow for another look around the league.