Crashing the Crease is SenShot’s daily look at some interesting news and notes from around the NHL
- Does the preseason matter? Well other than getting into the groove, and perhaps seeing some development from you prospects, it doesn’t mean much. But according to Sabre Noise, this preseason is different in Buffalo.
- The Flyers hand out another long-term deal, this time to Matt Read. They had better hope that the goaltending on the cheap works out for them, because there isn’t much wiggle room up front with all the long term contracts they have. The Flyers have no goaltender signed past this coming season, but somehow they are still in decent cap shape after I thought they were up the creek.
- The Flames have announced the replacement for Jarome Iginla as the team’s captain. Mark Giordano, come on down. I heard a joke about the captain of the Titanic, but that boat has already hit the iceberg and is near the ocean floor.
- Probably the best player on the Leafs this pre-season is the one in camp on a tryout, and Mason Raymond apparently has a deal in place. Somewhere Cody Franson is calling Europe, because there will be no money left in TO.
- The Canuck Way speculates what the uniforms could look like when the Senators and Cancuks face off in the Heritage Classic.
- One of the best ever, Nicklas Lidstrom, will be back, if only for an Alumni Game. I wonder how many “he could still play in the league now” comments will be made between now and the end of the game on January.
Check back tomorrow for more news and notes from around the league.