Before we get to the news from the NHL, take a moment to remember the events and those who lost loved ones in the tragic events that happened 12 years ago today.
Now, back to the news and notes from around the NHL, on the day that many training camps around the league will open up.
- Nazem Kadri will be at Leafs camp after agreeing to a 2 year, $5.8M contract late last night. The deal was short of the $7M he was looking for, and slightly more than the $5.7 the Leafs were offering. Chalk up a win for the Leafs in P.K. Subban style. Hopefully that doesn’t mean Kadri is going to win an award this season.
- What does that mean for forwards like Derek Stepan, Cody Hodgson and defensemen like Jared Cowen and Alex Pietrangelo? Also, Cody Franson is another Leaf still without a deal. Does this put the pressure on them to lower their demands and has Kadri set a market price?
- Tim Thomas hasn’t gone away, and is looking for a camp invite from a team that might not have a legitimate #1 goalie in place. Should Edmonton be on his radar and vice-versa, Oil On Whyte asks?
- Speaking of Thomas, the Canuck Way looks at if he might be a fit in Vancouver…tire pumping aside.
- Brad Boyes apparently felt disrespected for his work in Long Island, and is spurning a PTO offer from the Isles in favor of one with the Panthers.
- Is Ryan Miller‘s choice of color on new equipment (all white) a statement about his future in Buffalo? (Sabre Noise)
- Another goalie in the unemployment line is Rick DiPietro. Could a stay in Florida be in his future? Scott Clemmensen is out for 3 weeks, so he might be worth a look. (the Rat Trick).
- Cardiac Cane wonders if the trio of Eric Stall, Alexander Semin and Jiri Tlusty can repeat the performance of 2013.
Its one of the most wonderful times of the year, unless you are a player about to do the VO2MAX test. Training camps kick off and exhibition games are days away. Check back tomorrow for more stories from the greatest game on earth.