Here is a collection of NHL news and notes stories from around the league Saturday:
- The first dominos fell in the restricted free agent market as Marcus Johansson and the Washington Capitals agreed to a 2 year, $4M contract, and Mikkel Boedker agreed to a 2 year deal with the Phoenix Coyotes. Terms for Boedkker’s deal were not disclosed, but neither is probably going to help the Leafs’ Nazem Kadri‘s case for a long term, big-money deal. Although Kadri has something that these other two do not – a top 25 placing in NHL scoring.
- Although he might not be one of their top scorers, if Darren Helm hasn’t recovered from his “slightly torn disc” it will have a big impact on the Red Wings, as reported by Octopus Thrower.
- Can you imagine Chris Neil with the C in Ottawa? Well at least he has been here his whole career. Sabre Noise looks at Buffalo pest Steve Ott and states why he will be a leader while not wearing the “C” for the Sabres.
- More unsigned players getting professional tryouts include Hal Gill (Flyers), Ryan Whitney (Blues) and possibly Brad Boyes and Radek Martinek back with the Isles. Personally I can’t believe Boyes, who was a key to the success of the Islanders first line and helping John Tavares reach new heights, hasn’t found a job and has to go back to Long Island looking for a job. Did he not prove himself enough last year?
- Brett Hull is apparently going to the Blues as a VP. If his past work as Dallas GM (and Co-GM) is any indication, I hope it is Vice President of Handshakes and Smiles.
Time is ticking down and training camp will be upon us very soon. Check back tomorrow as we tour around the league once again.