Finally the puck dropped at a number of rookie tournaments yesterday, and that means the big boys report in less than a week. Here are some news and notes from around the league yesterday:
- Alberta just got a lot more interesting as Brian Burke was named the President of Hockey Operations for the Calgary Flames. Jay Feaster just got a little more uncomfortable, because despite what everyone says publicly, and what some experts might say, the first time he makes a mistake of the magnitude of the Ryan O’Reilly signing, the canning of Feaster will be that much easier with a GM in waiting .
- Sabre Noise looks at their team, and thinks the horrible third jerseys unveiled earlier this week is the least of their potential problems.
- Fantasy players: Who would you take first, P.K. Subban or Erik Karlsson? NHL.com gives the edge to the Hab. Thoughts?
- After the terrible flooding in Calgary, it looks like the Saddledome will be ready for Exhibition games as scheduled (TSN).
- With training camps getting set to open, The Hockey News looks at 10 of the top unsigned free agents and their possible plans for the season
The ball is just getting rolling and the NHL will become more in the news both on ice and off-ice.