With many rookie camps opening today, hockey is truly back! Here is a quick tour of news and notes from around the league:
- Cory Schneider is back in a familiar position, that of being 1A, this time behind Martin Brodeur. I can’t see that lasting too long, and I bet by Christmas that Schneider is the 1 and Marty the 1A.
- A Winning Habit has been looking at the Atlantic from the bottom up, and has the Leafs finishing 6th, citing a lack of depth up the middle and porous defense as the reason. Hello Kettle, this is Pot…and no doubt they will have the Habs 2nd or 3rd.
- Speaking of our provincial rivals, Editor In Leaf looks past Nazem Kadri and Cody Franson‘s impending holdouts and looks ahead to the 11 potential free agents (restricted and unrestricted) next summer and determines how likely they are to have career seasons. With a rather loose definition of “career season”, but that’s just my opinion.
- I was kind of looking for the reaction for yesterday’s Crashing the Crease, but Blackhawk Up weighed in with an opinion on the Corey Crawford contract extension, and they pretty much agree with my assessment of the deal. In a word for now – risky. In another word for the future – regret.
- There will be a ton of out-of-work veterans getting free agent tryouts at various training camps this week. Radek Dvorak to Carolina is the first of many.
Enjoy your day, and if your team is having rookies report today, hockey season is here! If not, it won’t be too long now.