Now that the calendar has turned to September, we will start looking around the league at interesting stories on a daily basis up to and throughout the hockey season.
- Causeway Crowd, our Boston Bruins brother site, looks at their third line and how there could be a hole there. Former Sen Chris Kelly is referred to as a “solid two-way player” and should anchor the third line, but I am not sure how much offense a guy with one 20 goal season will give the B’s.
- Blackhawk Up makes the case for Ryan Miller to be the starting goalie for the US in the Olympics. Earlier they had suggested (with an understandable bias) that Corey Crawford should start for Canada. I don’t agree with either pick personally, and I think Jonathan Quick and Craig Anderson might have something to say about that, let alone Jimmy Howard.
- New Divisional rival Octopus Thrower (Detroit Red Wings) looks at current backup Jonas Gustavsson and implores him to get it together this season. Personally, I would give the job to former Ottawa 67′s standout Petr Mrazek. Mrazek would do a better job of pushing Howard for playing time and I have always thought Gustavsson was all smoke and mirrors created by the Brian Burke Hype Machine. Burke brought the free agent over touting him as the next big thing, only to see his career pretty much over before it started.
- Pucks of a Feather looks at the return of Teemu Selanne, and his loyalty, recognition of his role and some reaction from around the league.
- And finally, in case you missed it, here is the video of Teemu announcing his return to the Ducks:
Enjoy your day!