Here is your daily shot of NHL news from yesterday:
- More compliance buyouts were announced as Nathan Gerbe, Carlo Colaiacovo and Tom Gilbert received notice that they will be bought out.
- Filip Kuba also will be bought out, but as a normal buyout so his money will stay as part of Florida’s salary cap figure. Guess that is so they will be closer to the floor than the cap.
- Guess Professional Hockey Writers have trouble following directions. Despite being specifically told that Alex Ovechkin was a Right Winger this season, the Great 8 earned enough votes at Left Wing to earn an NHL 2nd team All Star selection. By the way, he was the first team All-Star at right wing as well.
- Ottawa could be the next hotbed for rumors of teams in turmoil off the ice as the Daniel Alfredsson contract negotiations and the low internal salary cap are still creating speculation over the state of Eugene Melnyk’s finances. I don’t know what is true and what is simply rumor, but I know that the Captain had better be signed and soon or the clubs finances will be the least of their concerns.
- Its weird how people seem shocked and appalled that teams (most notably Boston) are calling Alfredsson’s agent. The window to talk to impending free agents is open, and 29 other GMs wouldn’t be doing their jobs if they didn’t at least call. And Alfie’s agent, JP Barry, wouldn’t be doing his if he didn’t at least listen. That doesn’t mean he is going anywhere, or even seriously considering it.
- Our best wishes to Jarret Stoll of the Kings, who suffered a seizure yesterday morning and was taken to hospital in LA. Hopefully it is nothing serious and the diagnosis is found and treatable.
- With Free Agency opening officially at noon on Friday, there will be tons of rumors and speculation. Nathan Horton, in his quest to earn his millions in relative anonymity, apparently visited the Blue Jackets and Columbus yesterday.
Check back tomorrow for more news and notes. Wishing a Safe & Happy 4th of July to our American Readers!