There were six games other than Ottawa’s loss in the battle of Ontario, including a pair of Canadian teams winning on the backs of their backup goalies. Here is a quick tour around the league:
- Steven Stamkos snapped a 5 game goal-less streak with 2 goals and 1 assist to lead the Lightning to a come from behind win, knocking off the Panthers 6-5 in overtime. Benoit Pouliot had the OT winner after Ted Purcell tied the game with 11 seconds remaining to complete the comeback. Florida had a 6-4 lead with less than 8 minutes to play and could not hang on to win. Pouliot’ winner was his second of the game, and Purcell added two assists to his tying goal for a 3 point afternoon.
- Peter Budaj, starting in place of the flu-ridden Carey Price, was eased into action and ended up with the win in Montreal’s 4-1 dismantling of the Flyers. Only forced to make 2 saves in the first period, Budaj made 18 on the game for the relatively easy win. Brendan Gallagher had a goal and an assist and Max Pacioretty had two assists, but both players ended up leaving the game with injuries and will be re-evaluated on Sunday. David Desharnais, Tomas Plekanec and Rene Bourque (empty netter) also scored for Montreal, while Daniel Briere was the only Flyer to beat Budaj.
- John Tavares got the hat trick and added an assist in the Islanders’ 5-1 win over the first-place Devils. Matt Moulson and Michael Grabner rounded out the scoring on Johan Hedberg, while Marek Zidlicky‘s power play goal was the only blemish on Evgeni Nabokov‘s record. Moulson added assists on all three Tavares markers to match his linemate’s 4 point night.
- Corey Perry scored the shootout winner for Anahiem as they downed Nashville 3-2. The Ducks got offense from Matt Beleskey and Patrick Maroon (his first NHL goal), both of which erased 1 goal Predator leads to get the win. Nashville goals came off the sticks of David Legwand and Shea Weber (his first goal of the season).
- Martin Hanzal scored 2 third period goals to boost Phoenix to a 5-3 win over the Blue Jackets. Hanzal also had an earlier assist, and Keith Yandle added 3 assists to lead the Coyotes, who also got goals from David Moss, Radim Vrbata and Kyle Chipchura. The Blue Jackets kept it close on goals from Jared Boll, Matt Calvert and Derek Mackenzie.
- Devan Dubnyk left the game after allowing 3 goals on 12 first period shots, and watched as his Oilers came back and scored a 6-4 win over the Avalanche. Jordan Eberle score twice in the third period to snap an 8 game goal-less drought, and Ales Hemsky also added a pair in the win. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins scored his first of the season and Magnus Paajarvi scored the winner with 96 seconds left in the third. Cody McLeod, Matt Duchene and Jamie McGinn had paced the Avs to a 3-1 lead after 1, chasing Dubnyk. John Mitchell had made it 4-1 before the Oilers comeback began in the second period. Nikolai Khabibulin made 16 saves to get the win in relief.
That concludes our tour around the league. There are 7 games on tap for Sunday, including Jake Allen making his third straight start for the Blues as they head to Vancouver. Winnipeg hosts the Bruins, and Calgary will travel to Dallas. Check back here tomorrow for a recap of the action.