We are at the time when things turn to the scary and haunting thoughts reign supreme. Well in honour of Hallowe’en here ard my five scariest thoughts about hockey today:
5) What will Raffi Torres Wear For Hallowe’en? Last year he raised the ire of a lot of people when he went to a team party dressed as rapper and business mogul Jay-Z, including painting himself black. While the pictures posted created quite a stir, it was blown out of proportion in my opinion. This year he has had some extra time to think about it. My guess, is that he opts to go as the less offensive blue cat lady from Avatar.
4) The scariest costume for Halloween this year would be Gary Bettman. While an easy one to design (think Count Chocula crossed with Mini Me) , I wouldn’t advise donning that particular outfit. Not the goriest of costumes, but very scary for the costume wearer. If I saw a convincing Bettman doppleganger out and about on Halloween, I would be tempted to hurl an insult (or more) at the poor soul.
3) With the anticipated announcement of the cancellation of the Winter Classic, it is scary to think that it might be the death blow to the entire season. Once that decision has been made and announced publicly to scrap the marquee regular season event, the owners have no reason to give in on any of their demands to save the season.
2) The scary in a good way though is how talented the Canadian Junior team will be with all hands on deck should the lockout still be on. Malcolm Subban will provide better goaltending than they have received the last two tournaments, which has been the downfall of the red and white. With the anticipated talent available, a lot of players thinking this was going to be their turn are going to be disappointed, and I don’t envy coach Steve Spott and the decisions he will have to make in December.
1) The scariest thing to an Ottawa Senators fan at the moment is the idea of an Alfie- less Senators club. The captain has hinted that the longer the lockout goes the greater the chance that he has played his last NHL game. It would be a shame for that potential nightmare to become reality. That makes the fans of Alfie shudder and cringe more than all of the Saw and Paranormal Activity movies put together.