The Ottawa 67′s rode the talents of centre Sean Monahan and goaltender Petr Mrazek to a perfect 2-0 opening weekend with a 2-1 victory over the Belleville Bulls on Friday night and a Sunday drubbing of the Kingston Frontenacs by a score of 6-2.
Here are some notes and highlights from the weekend’s action:
- Monahan was the first star in both games, tallying 5 points combined.
- Mrazek was particularly good on Friday night, and was sharp when called upon in a relatively quiet Sunday game.
- The 67′s scored 5 times in just over 7 minutes in the first period of Sunday’s win over Kingston.
- Columbus Blue Jacket prospect Dalton Smith played a great game on Sunday, but was held off the scoresheet. He has proven he can be very effective when he plays on the edge, but doesn’t cross it as he is often prone to doing.
- The 67′s played the whole weekend without stars Tyler Toffoli and Ryan Martindale, who are still at NHL camps, and Sunday without Sens prospect Shane Prince, who injured his shoulder in the third period Friday night. He is expected to miss about 2 weeks.
- Toffoli and Michal Cajkovsky will be joining the team Tuesday after being released from LA Kings camp. Martindale is still in Edmonton, and if he signs a contract he could end up playing for their AHL club in Oklahoma City instead of being returned to the 67′s.
Up next for the 67′s is the always fun and challenging 3 games in 2.5 days with lengthy travel, when they visit Plymouth, Saginaw and Windsor Friday night through Sunday afternoon.
**Don’t forget to buy your Tickets for SenShot’s Alfie Night in Ottawa on November 11th, 2011. Click here for more details**
Thanks for reading and as always, comments are welcomed.
Can’t get enough of SenShot? Here are more ways to get the most info about your Ottawa Senators.
Visit our SenShot Facebook Page. Like us and post comments, photos and videos.
Please visit our NHL Main Page: Too Many Men On The Site.