More Heatley Madness

I know, I know. All of you are probably sick of talking about #15. However, there’s really nothing else to talk and every Sens fan knows their stomach is craving for more Heatley news. For those of you that don’t know, this is merely becoming a game of cat-and-mouse between Bryan Murray and Steve Tambellini, Doug Wilson, and Chuck Fletcher. Unfortunately, it’s a very interesting game of mouse-and-cat which can’t let go of the media spotlight.

The Oilers have been interested since Day One. They were eventually the team that almost acquired Dany Boy, until he nixed the trade with his deadly No-Trade Clause. The offer of Cogliano, Penner, and Smid was the original trade but as I have been told the deal is different at this moment. First, the Oilers are realizing they can’t give up a speedy youngster such as Cogs. They would like Ottawa to take Robert Nilsson off their hands, but in a short and sweet way, Nilsson sucks as much as Penner. Ladislav Smid still isn’t under a contract and that may worry people of his possible intent to bolt to the KHL. Edmonton has very limited interest in Heatley right now and aren’t waiting for him, but if Dany suddenly changes his mind, he’s going on a one-way ticket to Edmonton.

The Sharks have been rumored to have long time interest in Heatley. They are, however very close to the cap and don’t have the immdediate flexibility to make a trade. Ek over at Hockey Buzz says they’re working out a trade wtih Montreal to clear cap space. There was that rumored three-way a few days ago but that appears long forgotten. ESPN mentioned the Sharks offered Jonathan Cheechoo, Christian Ehroff, and Jamie McGinn for Dany Heatley. I was told that was the final deal but Murray rejected it because he didn’t like it. I as well hate it because Cheechoo is a waste of money and McGinn is unproven. They will have to include Ryan Clowe or Joe Pavelski to get some interest into Bryan Murray’s head.

The Wild were a team that came in late into the fray but have stayed into it. They made an offer of Marek Zidlicky, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, and Cody Almond for Dany Heatley. Another trade that Murray didn’t like and another oen that I don’t like, frankly. Zidlicky is essentially Kuba v2 and Bouchard is too small for my likings. I have seen Almond live in action and I really like his play, but that’s not enough to woo me over or even woo any other Sens fan over. Fletcher doesn’t want to include Brent Burns who Murray would like to retain. James Sheppard is another guy GMBM likes, but the Wild are leery of giving him up. I predicted a week ago Heatley was going to the Wild and I’msure he would waive his NTC to go there, but it’s the matter of fact if Murray can negotiate a deal with Fletcher.

There’s also the option of keeping Heatley. We all aren’t sure if Dany would like to stay here after all because he hasn’t spoken to the media but if he decides he would like to stay, than I would keep him. Every Sens fan hates him now but we have to realize this guy can plainly score goals. He has the best slapshot in the league bar none and even if he is lazy sometimes, Clouston will have to try to fix him up. I think he can co-exist on the team. I bet if he stays and gets 50 goals, all Sens fans will forgot about his trade request. It’s as simple as that. If he still is crying and wanting out of Ottawa, trade him at the Trade Deadline. Not only will you get maximum interest from around the league, but desperation starts to kick in and eventually Murray can get more pieces for his team. One GM will go boinkers and offer a botload of players + picks + prospects which is hard to resist. Look at the Hossa trade two seasons ago. They got 2 young, good players, a big-time prospect, and a 1st rounder.

Dany Heatley can give this team the Cup it wants. With Kovalev now in the threshold and Nick Foligno likely to breakout, this a team with an offense to be reckoned with. Even if defense is a question, Sens fans have seen that offense can lead teams to championships, despite the popular saying of “Defense wins Championships”. If the goals start to kick in Heatley finally starts buying  into Clouston’s system, the Sens are a playoff team, no doubt.

UPDATE 6:44 PM ET: I just saw on Sportscentre that Steve Tambellini told the media today the Oilers will not be persuing Dany Heatley anymore. It’s a good decision for them if you’re an Oilers fan. So, now it’s down to the Sharks and the Wild. I would give it 20% chance for the Sharks, 20% chance for the Wild, and 60% he stays or eventually holds out.

Next Senators Game Full schedule »
Saturday, Oct 2525 Oct7:00New Jersey DevilsBuy Tickets

Tags: Bryan Murray Erik Condra Minnesota Wild Nick Foligno Paul MacLean Robin Lehner San Jose Sharks Tim Murray

comments powered by Disqus